Asylum Hill Congregational Society closes on its new home

07/05/1864 |

Category:

The day the committee on site purchased the land for the church from Francis J. Huntington – or the day Francis J. Huntington transferred title on the land.

Trust but verify

This may just be a matter of referring to the same transaction a little differently. The 1940 article on the 75th anniversary describes it as the date of purchase, while Atwood Collins in 1915 more precisely described this date as being the date on the deed. This slight difference may also be a commentary on how much simpler real estate transactions were in the 1860s as compared with today.  It’s also easily clarified by a trip to the Hartford land records.

Sources

Swartz, Melva J., “Hill Church Will Observe Anniversary,” Hartford Courant, March 18, 1940, page 1.

Unattributed, “Rev. Dr. Joseph H. Twichell Honored at Anniversary of His Church,” Hartford Courant, March 24, 1915, page 16.

Related Chronicle:


Related Tours:


Related Events:


Related Lore:


Related People:

Related Places:

--> Asylum Hill Congregational Church


Project History

Share this: