Probably very: although Keely isn’t well known today, he was a very prominent architect in his day. Keely specialized in churches, and he designed anywhere from 400 to 700 churches in the US and Canada during the 48 years following his emigration from Ireland. The vast majority of the churches he designed were Catholic churches: by some accounts, he designed only five Protestant churches, which makes Asylum Hill Congregational Church almost unique. Asylum Hill Congregational Church is one of three Keely churches in Hartford; the other two, Saint Patrick’s Church and the Cathedral of Saint Joseph, were both destroyed by fires.
No – not really, anyway, and certainly not today. Saint Patrick-Saint Anthony Church, which is located at 285 Church Street, is the fourth building at that address, and the building in question here is the second building, which was Saint Patrick’s Church and was designed in 1853 by Patrick Keely – who 11 years later would be hired to design Asylum Hill Congregational Church. A photo of the 1853 Saint Patrick’s Church shows remarkable similarities between that church and Asylum Hill Congregational Church, but there are also substantial differences. The 1853 Saint Patrick’s Church was destroyed by fire in 1875; Saint Patrick’s merged with Saint Anthony’s Church in 1958.
It’s not really clear why the steeple wasn’t built as part of the original construction project in 1865-1866 even though it was part of the original design. One guess, of course, is money: adding the steeple equaled 20% of overall cost to construct the church building without it, and the church didn’t build the steeple until it received a donation specifically to add it. Another guess is the design itself: Samuel Coit, who oversaw the original construction of the church, did make changes to Patrick Keely’s design in order to make the church appear more austere, and perhaps Coit believed that the steeple was garish.
Mixed, it seems. Rockwell H. Potter, pastor at Center, aka First, Congregational Church, said at the fiftieth anniversary of Asylum Hill Congregational Church, “It was not without pain and travail that the mother [Center] brought forth this church. … But the First Church realizes today that this branching out has been for the upbuilding of the Kingdom of God and all the pangs that were suffered fifty years ago have been compensated many times over by the joy of seeing this church in all the fullness of her strength.”
Probably – according to Atwood Collins, “it is probable” that Horace Bushnell suggested Twichell because a “daughter of Dr. Bushnell” told him that she recalled Twichell took part in a midweek service at North Congregational while visiting the home of Austin Dunham and because a member of AHCC recalled Bushnell telling her father that he knew “no young man of greater promise as a preacher than Mr. Twichell.”
Yes: by the mid-20th century, Asylum Hill Congregational Church became primarily a commuter church, with most of the members having moved to the suburbs, and consequently the members contemplated re-locating the church to the suburbs as well. So far, I’ve identified four times that the church formally considered relocation: 1960, 1965, 1973, and 1985, but each time the members voted to stay in Asylum Hill.
|The main source for information on this page is the Hartford [Daily] Courant. Specific references to articles can be found under the history (timeline) entries. All sources for this page, including the timeline entries, can be viewed on the bibliography for this subject.|
|Goodwin v. Gross: The Rain of Parks|
|Lydia Sigourney Street?|
|To Move, Or Not to Move|